What am I passionate about?
Every pet owner lights up with a smile when telling stories about their pets. My love for these human-animal bonds is what drives me to provide compassion, education and good medicine.
Five Things Dr. Urban Would Like You To Know About Her:
1. My spirit animal is the Doberman. Achilles, my current rescue, is my family's 6th Doberman since I was a child. I volunteer at the Doberman Assistance, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (DAR&E), a Doberman rescue that serves Maryland, DC, Virginia, and parts of West Virginia.
2. I grew up in the Midwest (NW Indiana and SW Michigan). I use the word "pop" for soda and eat deep dish pizza.
3. I graduated from Saint George's University School of Veterinary Medicine and completed my clinical training at the University of Illinois. I attended Michigan State University for my undergraduate training and veterinary technology certificate. I bleed green and love Michigan State Football.
4. Pets are a common thread in which everyone has a story to share with a smile on their face. I enjoy being a small part of these stories and am compassionate about client education and preventative care.
5. My favorite thing about Pet Care Veterinary Hospital is that we acknowledge behavior, which is often forgotten in veterinary practice. We never force an animal to do something to "just get it done" and instead, take the time to make previous negative experiences into positive ones. From the beginning, we offer "puppy socialization parties" which allows our youngest family members to become accustomed to our practice. Throughout life, we instill Fear Free techniques and sometimes even behavioral consultation appointments to work with animals that need a little more help. My goal for next year is to become Fear-Free certified which quite a few of our technicians have already accomplished.
Dr. Jessica Urban grew up in Southwest Michigan and graduated from Michigan State University with a certificate in veterinary technology (2007) and a BS in Zoology (2008). After receiving her undergraduate degree, she initially worked as a licensed veterinary technician until she decided to pursue her dream of becoming a veterinarian. While attending Saint George's, she was an active member of the Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association (SAVMA), the Veterinary Business Association (VBMA), and was president of the Grenada Chapter of the International Veterinary Students' Association (IVSA). While at the helm of IVSA, she helped host student exchange groups from multiple countries, attended international meetings representing the club, and began a One Health One Medicine (OHOM) Lecture Series that lasts until this day. She graduated in January 2017 from Saint George's University School of Veterinary Medicine.
Thank you to everyone. I already thought Dr. Bean was an amazing vet when he sat on the floor with my kitties to do their exams, now I realize he cares about his patients on ALL levels, as well as their parents. I highly recommend this office.
They all were amazingly compassionate people, and truly were hurt from hearing the news. They also care for our Lesser Sulfur Crested Cockatoo that we still have and will for many years to come. They have helped with everything from checking her health after over 14 years of being at a vet clinic to getting her foods shifted over to a much more healthy diet.
Dr Hulls was very good with our 5 yr old Macaw. Explained to us very well everything he was doing or had to do. Will be bringing our Carl back when he's due...Thank You
My pet ate part of a rug and although I thought she had passed it, there was still someone her intestines. She had surgery and then we had some issues that made me nervous. The staff was wonderful when I was so stressed out and helpful when I came in (daily) with new issues.
Pet Care Veterinary Hospital has provided the BEST care for my dog. Since moving to Virginia Beach, 7 years ago, I went to 2 other veterinarian services before luckily finding Dr. Partlow and Dr. Hulls, who I credit for saving my dog's life and keeping him in perfect health. The care that the staff takes is just as if their animal patients are their very own pets. I couldn't love and trust Pet Care Veterinary Hospital more, and I highly recommend them!